Recipe of Mona de Pascua
Easter is coming and on this occasion we would like to share with you the recipe of a typical Spanish cake called the MONA DE PASCUA.
- 500gr of flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 25gr of baker’s yeast
- 150gr of sugar
- 60gr of butter
- 300ml of milk
- 1 egg
- 15ml of orange blossom water
- 1 orange zest
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Mix together flour and salt in a big container. Make a hole in the middle.
- Add the baker’s yeast, sugar, milk, soft butter cut into dices, the orange zest, the egg and the orange blossom water. Mix together well during 10 minutes. The dough must be very thin. Once it is done, leave the dough to stand for an hour and a half and cover it with a damp towel.
- Divide the dough into several parts. Each part is a mona. Give the dough a round shape, it will allow you to place an egg in the middle of it.
- Beat the egg and draw a few lines with a knife on top of the monas. Sprinkle with sugar and decorate the monas as you want. Let the dough rise another 30 to 40 minutes.
- Put in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes.